St Pancras Station was built in 1866-8 as the London terminus of the Midland Railway. William Barlow designed and engineered the train shed which at the time was the largest single-span structure ever built.
The Midland Grand Hotel – now St Pancras Renaissance – was erected across the front of the station and completed in 1873. This gothic masterpiece, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, was the last and most extravagant of the great railway hotels. It is one of Britain’s most celebrated Victorian structures and was heralded at the time as a grand destination for the thrilling age of steam. The hotel and station were threatened with demolition in the 1960s but were saved by preservationists led by the poet, Sir John Betjeman.
… and now
The Midland Grand has been restored by Manhattan Loft Corporation and is now the five star St Pancras Renaissance Hotel. It took a decade of restoration to uncover the Victorian masterpiece. You can read about the remarkable rise, fall and rebirth of the hotel here.