King’s Cross lives up to its reputation as one of London’s best foodie hot spots this summer with the ultimate alfresco dining experience, unrivalled anywhere in the capital.
Your favourite bars, restaurants and cafes are open, with improved outdoor seating and heated terraces where you can meet for lunch, brunch, coffee or cocktails – all in the calm, traffic-free spaces of King’s Cross
Now is your chance to experience some of the most exclusive eateries without their famous queues, as culinary hot spots including Barrafina and Dishoom open reservations for the first time.
There’s also 26 acres of open, outdoor space at King’s Cross, including peaceful parks and the Canalside Steps, and new outdoor public seating in place throughout Coal Drops Yard and Granary Square, making King’s Cross the ideal place for a socially-distanced meal or meet-up.
So to make the most of a summer heatwave, we’ve rounded up some of the King’s Cross spots who are upping their al-fresco game in the coming weeks, and mixed them with some of our perennial outdoor favourites:
The best outdoor spaces at King’s Cross
Arabica offers modern Middle Eastern food, with dishes drawing inspiration from the sun-soaked Levantine.
- Has a generous outside seating on a terrace facing Lewis Cubitt Park.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.arabicalondon.com/.
The first restaurant to open at King’s Cross, Caravan has dishes that draw influence and flavours from around the world, excellent breakfasts and in-house roasted coffee.
- Equipped with a generous sunny terrace on Granary Square:the best spot to watch the fun unfold around the site.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.caravanrestaurants.co.uk/kings-cross.html.
Casa Pastor and Plaza Pastor
Casa Pastor and Plaza Pastor is home to some serious good mood vibes, live music, a smoking chicken rotisserie and brimming jugs of tequila-based cocktails – including their own batch mezcal. Best bits – tacos, tortillas and fat tortas buns filled with meat and veggies from the robata grill.
- Has a covered terrace: essentially the outside space of sibling restaurant Casa Pastorbut with its own bar, open kitchen and a more laid-back menu.
- Now taking reservations: https://resy.com/cities/ldn/casa-pastor?date=2020-07-29&seats=2.
The Coal Office, a collaboration between design powerhouse Tom Dixon and chef supremo Assaf Granit, is as loud and buzzy as the open kitchen, with food influences stretching along the Mediterranean from the Middle East to North Africa.
- Enjoy the industrial-chic rooftop terrace, which offers iconic views of Coal Drops Yard.
- Now taking reservations: https://coaloffice.com/
The German Gymnasium serves punchy Mittel-European inspired dishes and delicious cocktails all day long.
- Has a sleek wraparound terrace, which is heated for when the chill sets in.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.germangymnasium.com/
Granary Square Brasserie
All-day restaurant with a menu full of beautifully cooked classics including a host of carefully-sourced steaks, fish and burgers from the grill.
- Has a terrace overlooking the fountains offering heaters and blankets should a chill set in.
- Now taking reservations: https://granarysquarebrasserie.com/
hicce is one of the most exciting new restaurants at Coal Drops Yard, with food from Murano-trained chef Pip Lacey. The inventive dishes are mainly wood-fired and the beer bread is worth the visit alone.
- Outdoor space perched just outside the handsome red-brick vaulted windows offering the most beautiful sunset view in the entire city.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.hicce.co.uk/
Hoppers has a Sri-Lankan street-food inspired menu featuring some King’s Cross exclusives, such as Sizzling Beef Poriyal, Blue Swimmer Crab Kari, Ambulthial Cutlets. The extended bar serves two of Hoppers’ own brewed beers on tap, alongside sharing punches, tropical swizzles and coolers.
- Ample outside seating
- Now taking reservations: https://www.hopperslondon.com/kings-cross/
Lina in Piazza
Lina Stores is ready to transport you to Italy with its new al fresco restaurant Lina in Piazza. On the menu, you’ll find favourite summer dishes including antipasti, panini, and (naturally!) lots of fresh homemade pasta..
- Situated just outside its current restaurant, fully alfresco on Lewis Cubitt Square.
- Drinks from the charming Piaggio Ape mobile bar and, from August, a gelato cart will join the set-up for gelati and sorbetti to go
- Now taking reservations: https://www.linastores.co.uk/kings-cross/
Morty & Bob’s
Morty & Bob’s, known for their famous grilled cheese also offer great coffee, drinks at the bar, all day dining and wholesome comfort food.
- Enjoy their sandwiches in a relaxed open space at Coal Drops Yard.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.mortyandbobs.com/
Coffee lovers can head to Pancras Square to discover Notes single-origin, speciality coffee. Roasted at their East London roastery, the seasonal range of espresso and filter coffees are sure to keep you coming back for more.
- Has ample outside space and is the perfect coffee catch up spot.
- Now taking reservations: https://notescoffee.com/locations
Parrillan is home to mini charcoal grills with white-hot coals brought sizzling to your table with a mouth-watering selection of beef picanha, fat bright red carabinero prawns and juicy red peppers for you to chargrill to perfection.
- Has a Spanish alfresco terrace bar and grill, on the upper level of stylish Coal Drops Yard.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.parrillan.co.uk/
Spiritland is a relaxed little cafe by day and a very mellow bar-slash-music venue by night, with their world-class sound system oozing out uber-cool tunes from early until late.
- The wood-clad outdoor seating area sits on Stable Street and provides a lovely setting to watch the crowds drift by.
- Now taking reservations: https://spiritland.com/food-drink-rfh/
The Drop serves carefully selected wines with broadly British dishes and is known for its passion for the provenance and personality behind each offering.
- The restaurant has an outside terrace bar and table-top grill restaurant.
- Now taking reservations: https://thedropwinebar.co.uk/
The Lighterman offers an all-day menu featuring marinated meat and seafood cooked on a wood-fired grill alongside classics such as the rare breed beef burger and fish & chips.
- Overlooking the canal and offering panaromic views, The Lighterman has not one, but three outside eating options, so you can chase the sun all day long.
- Now taking reservations: https://thelighterman.co.uk/
At the ever-charming all-day cafe and bar Vermuteria you will find classic Spritzes like Aperol or delve into the heady world of vermouths – Vermuteria’s speciality to create your own serve.
- Nestled at the top of Coal Drops Yard with a pretty courtyard terrace, festooned with strings of twinkling lights and dotted with heaters to ward off any evening chill.
- Now taking reservations: https://vermuteria.cc/
Inspired by the wine bars of Spain and Italy Vinoteca has very knowledgable staff who help guide you to a glass of something chilled and delicious, and pair it with plate of summery flavours. The best bits – The shrimp, fennel and juicy pink grapefruit, or the gorgeously earthy parmigiana.
- Offering a pretty terrace space that works perfectly for an evening spent sampling the exceptional wines.
- Now taking reservations: https://www.vinoteca.co.uk/locations/kings-cross