This month’s recipe from Maple & King’s Adria Wu is the ultimate comfort food: gooey-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the-outside brownies!
As usual with the Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef, however, these brownies are not quite as sinful as they seem – packed with protein, good fats and plenty of nutrients. Follow her easy step by step guide to create your own below.
Makes 1 tray or 12 squares
400g black beans, cooked, drained and pureed
250 g avocado, puree
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
100g dates, pitted or raw sugar
200g dark chocolate (raw if desired)
100g milk chocolate (raw if desired)
5ml vanilla extract
4 medium eggs
170g ground almonds
170g raw cacao powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
Salted Date Caramel:
170g dates, pitted or raw sugar
50g almond butter
5ml vanilla extract
5g flaked sea salt
50g hot water
- Preheat oven 180C. Line a 23cm square tin with parchment paper.
- Blend all salted date ingredients in food processor until smooth and set aside.
- Blend black bean and avocado in blender until smooth adding 60ml of water to start. Consistency should resemble a dip. If too dense, add more water 1 tbsp at a time.
- Melt oil, sweetener, dark and milk chocolate over a water bath.
- Remove from heat and let slightly cool before mixing in black bean and avocado mix and add vanilla extract
- Whisk in one egg at a time.
- Sift ground almond, raw cacao powder, and bicarbonate soda and mix evenly. Add wet mixture to dry.
- Assemble the 600g brownie batter in lined pan. Swirl in the caramel and finish off with rest of brownie batter.
To taste more of Adria’s delicious but always healthy food, head to Maple and King’s at Three Pancras Square. Find the store on the corner facing Pancras Square.
This recipe first appeared in the spring 2018 edition of King’s Cross Quarterly magazine. Read more about the people and stories that make King’s Cross, or find out where you can pick up the latest copy of King’s Cross Quarterly below.