The Midland Goods Shed was built by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) as a carriage shed in 1850. It started life as a temporary passenger terminal while King’s Cross Station was being built. Queen Victoria departed from here on her way to Scotland in 1851.
Once King’s Cross station was completed, it became a goods shed and a three story annex was added at its southern end.
The name Midland Goods Shed survived even though the shed was subsequently used for offices.The original loading platforms are still present on the ground floor, although over the years a number of the original openings have been altered.
East Handyside Canopy was added in 1888 to provide a covered space for unloading of potatoes. The area to the east of the canopy was a potato market. Four telegraph poles poke through the eastern side of the roof – rare survivors of a once common sight.
… and now
The structures have been restored and are home to a Waitrose store and café, complete with cookery school and office space for consumer finance provider, NewDay.
East Handyside Canopy hosts events and markets.