King's CrossAn extraordinary piece of London

 
 

Fish and Coal offices

Canalside offices and restaurant space in the heritage heart of King's Cross

The Fish & Coal buildings are on Regent’s Canal and Granary Square. The upper floors are made up office space, while the lower level arches will form part of a new restaurant. The western end building will be converted into a pub, with a new roof conservatory and an outdoor roof terrace overlooking the canal. The sensitive restoration is by David Morley Architects.

A new elevated park – the Viaduct – similar to the Highline in New York will run along the front of the building connecting Granary Square and Gasholder Park.

The first block was built in 1851 to provide offices for clerical workers associated with the coal trade, with an additional four blocks completed in the early 1860s. The buildings later came to be used by staff administering the distribution of fish, brought into London from the east coast of England and parts of Scotland. You can read more about the history of the buildings at King’s Cross here.

Location